Monday, August 16, 2010

Food Files: Snails and a Goose

At my very core, I am a sensualist. One who appreciates indulgences and excess in food, drink, clothing, art and my personal relationships. To me there is beauty in excess. And, while one shouldn't be excessive all of the time, every once in a while giving in to your desires is what makes life worth living.

While staying with my aunt and uncle on Lake Cunningham I had some of the only home cooked meals I've had in months. It had been forever since I last tasted anything but restaurant food. My aunt pulled out all the stops and I was able to snap a few pics of my favorite bites. Whether is was the crab cakes and fried fish at brunch on Sunday or the split peas soup with lobster and conch the night before I left, I took time to savor her gift for good eats.

Heavily featured in this post was my favorite meal of the weekend. A Bahamian take on a French delicacy: broiled escargot and pastries stuffed with brie cheese. The escargot was spiced with rosemary and thyme, and Bahamian peppers for a kick! The pastry was both light and rich simultaneously and the reduction from the escargot made the dipping the pastries perfect. To top it off we came up with our own cocktail for the night using a simple syrup, lime and blueberries...it was summer in a glass!




No comments:

Post a Comment